Tell me why – a sequel

“Tell me why you cry and why you lie to me,” sang The Beatles. I have observed a few universal truths in my fifty-seven years on this planet, so let me share a few for your consumption and critique.

– the people who cry the loudest about how unjust something is does not necessarily make them right. It does not make them wrong either, so it is important to understand the issues.

– the people who require the most tolerance of others in dealing with them tend to be the least tolerant of people in dealing with others.

– the people who are more zealous in selling you some product, service or message means that the sale is far more beneficial to the seller than the buyer.

– all politicians are prone to lying given the nature of the job and its funding. It is all a matter of degree and to what purpose. In the immortal words of former Senator Jon Kyl when caught in a lie, ” You have mistaken what I said as the truth.”

– when someone says something is not political, you can take it to the bank it is political.

– someone’s history matters. We all make mistakes, but if someone has a history of exploiting people for gain, that is a good window as to how they will be in the future.

– the 80/20 rule applies to business leaders as well. 20% of leaders are effective in their jobs, with the success of  the other 80% rising and falling with the tide. A rising tide lifts all boats.

– business leaders do not create jobs, customers create jobs. A business leader will try to get buy with as few people as possible to turn a profit.

– when people squelch debate, name call or label opposition, that usually means their arguments are poor.

That will do it for now. I could keep at it, but would love to hear your thoughts. Have a great weekend.

Advertisements

13 thoughts on “Tell me why – a sequel

  1. Intolerance is a nicer word for ignorance and bigotry.

    And speaking of taking something to the bank, the same goes for personal. “It’s nothing personal” is code for it is.

  2. Note to Readers: The Jon Kyl quote has intrigued me since he said it a couple of years ago. It has two parts – the obvious one, but there is an implication that it is your fault for believing me. It reminds of the line from the movie “Animal House,” after they wrecked Flounder’s brother car. Otter looks at him and said, “You screwed up. You trusted us.” I did euphemize one word.

  3. Note to Readers: I was reminded this morning about the many people who talk about doing and fixing things. What I have observed is many talk about doing things, but very few get up out of their chair and go do something. All of us are guilty of this at some point, as inertia, exhaustion, fear of failure or exposure and limited time are powerful influences.

  4. Note to Readers: I will be refreshing an old post on this, but as a precursor, here is a truism. Pretty much anyone can get elected saying he or she will reduce taxes. The tougher question is making sure we have enough money to pay for needed services.

  5. You know Kieth anyone of us can hold up a mirror and see ourselves in either of these scenarios and any giving time. Only some of us want to be responsible for the lives of others at their own expense.

    • Kimberly, you are right. We are a world of imperfect people. When we find ourselves making such mistakes or treating others not as we want to be treated, we need to stop and recognize such and take remedial action. Someone made mention in another blog to “attribution error” and defined it better than anywhere else I had seen. The example used: If I cut someone off in traffic, it is because I did not see them in my blind spot. If they cut me off, they are a jerk. This spoke volumes to me for us to recognize our errors and how they are perceived and give benefits of doubt to others until proven otherwise. Great comment, Keith

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s