Now that the Republican Party has officially nominated a bigoted, xenophobic, thin-skinned narcissist, it is imperative that America gives this candidate a full vetting. I have said multiple times that Donald Trump’s lack of veracity as a candidate is in his history and it is not hard to find.
He has made his fortune by exploiting people for money. His sales skills have allowed him to get his money, but he has often left others high and dry through multiple bankruptcies, failed businesses and getting out of deals before they went south. The number of lawsuits that he has settled are significant as a result as well as the line of unpaid contractors.
The three Trump University class action lawsuits are a microcosm of why he is a poor candidate. He is charged with alleged misrepresentation and aggressive marketing to strong arm money from students and seminar attendees.
But, what bothers me most is his selling of his name to developers where he has nothing to do with the development. He receives royalties while the developer charges unaware buyers more money. I find this exploitive and somewhat unethical. Either way, he is participating in a scheme to gain profit from unsuspecting buyers who are paying a premium for the Trump name.
Yet, let’s set that aside and just consider what a Trump presidency would entail based on his history and campaign positions and comments.
- Our. NATO allies have now been given reason to question our commitment to them with Trump’s position clarified this week that money comes first then protection.
- He is OK with all countries having nuclear weapons including Saudi Arabia.
- He supports Brexit which has been criticized by financial experts as dilutive to future growth and may lead to Scotland and Northern Ireland leaving the UK.
- He advocates going after terrorist families and water boarding, the former of which is unconstitutional and the latter of which is not only ineffective, but the CIA has said they will not do again since Bush/ Cheney hung them out to dry.
- He has ostracized Blacks, Muslims, Mexicans, Jews, women and disabled people.
- His tax plan has been measured by the Tax Foundation to increase the debt of $19 trillion by $12 trillion over the next 10 years.
- He has dismissed Climate Change as a hoax invented by the Chinese to steal our jobs.
- He has said there is no drought problem in California which is news to them and is counter to the #1 global risk of water loss per the World Economic Forum.
- His party is against reasonable gun governance, so without change there is little he can do to stop motivated lone gunmen in mass shootings.
- His hateful and bigoted comments have given license to hate groups to feel more empowered and per five retired generals and two former CIA directors, he has endangered America.
- His healthcare plan would cause 20 million uninsureds, may cause a recession in my view and be very harmful to people in poverty and just above.
- His thin skin and ego have revealed he does not have the temperament or judgment to be commander in chief says another retired general among many others.
And, per an article by Rodrigo Campos for Reuters:
“A Trump presidency ‘would not be good for markets at all,’ because of the uncertainty among investors about his true priorities, said Paul Zemsky, chief investment officer of multi-asset strategies and solutions at Voya Investment Management in New York.”
i mention this last item as he is supposed to be reassuring to the markets, but brings more uncertainty. This uncertainty is the best word to define the risk of Donald Trump as President.