A few years ago, I wrote a post asking the question, what if certain events or outcomes did not happen. The premise is to think how other events may have been impacted. The post was more US-centric, so I would like to follow-up with a more global set of questions.
– What would have happened if the Mongols had continued their western push deeper into Europe?
– What would have happened if Roland and his successors were unable to push the Muslim expansion out of Europe?
– What would have happened if Apartheid in South Africa had not been pressured out of existence?
– What would have happened if China had not retrenched from its sea-based expansion as they focused on domestic problems?
– What would have happened if the British acquiesced and signed a truce with Germany and Italy rather than continue the fight in WWII?
– What would the Americas look like if the Mayans continued their existence?
– What would have happened if some tangible semblance of the Roman Empire continued to exist well beyond its demise?
That is plenty to ponder. Pick one or two and let me know what you think? To my way of thinking, there are lessons even for today.